- Describe the forces affecting the workplace and learning. How can training help companies deal with these forces?
- Need for leadership
- Increase value based on intangible assets and human capital
- Focus on link to business strategy
- Attracting and retaining talent
- Customer service and quality emphasis
- Changing the demographics and diversity of the work force
- New technology
- High-performance models of work systems
- Economic changes
Training can help companies deal with these forces by simply making the big picture clear to the employees by showing them the way they can help the company accomplish its goals. Moreover, training makes the employees achieve better communication, talents, creativity and build confidence.
- What steps are included in the training design model? What step do you think is most important? Why?
- Conducting needs assessments
- Ensuring employee’s readiness for training
- Creating a learning environment
- Ensuring transfer of training
- Developing an evaluation plan
- Selecting a training method
- Monitoring and evaluating the program
I think creating a learning environment is the most important because it gives the employees the courage and desire to learn which would make them more affective and efficient at work.
- What are intangible assets? How do they relate to training and development?
Intangible assets are defined as those non-monetary assets that cannot be seen, touched or physically measured. It is one of the most important values for companies continued existence.
- Which of the training professionals' roles do you believe is most difficult to learn? Which is easiest?
I think the hardest is Professional specialist and Business partner. In contrast, learning strategist is the easiest.
- How might technology influence the importance of training professionals' roles? Can technology reduce the importance of any of the roles? Can it result in additional roles?
Technology without doubt will have a great influence on the training professionals' roles. It will ease the data flow and fasten the business's seat built. Basically, everything is going to be faster and more efficient, which could cause some roles to be substituted and others added to the training professionals' roles.
- Describe the training courses that you have taken. How have they helped you? Provide recommendations for improving the courses.
I have never had any training courses before.
- What are the implications of the aging work force? What strategies should companies consider from a training and development perspective to best utilize older employees and prepare for their retirement?
It would be a good idea for a company to create a strategy that would benefit both the older and younger persons. For example, training could pass the knowledge that the older people have to the younger employees. Also, in the other direction, the elders could gain a great knowledge from the younger employees such as technology.